Early Childhood Education
Posted on January 11 2017
As defined by the Health of Children, “Early Childhood Education (ECE) consists of activities and/or experiences that are intended to effect developmental changes in children prior to their entry into elementary school.” Simply put, ECE as the name suggests is teaching children as young as toddlers and infants up to the age of eight.
Post extensive research conducted on Early Childhood Development (ECD) it is observed that the early years are most crucial in a child’s life. As per UNICEF, “The early years of life are crucial not only for individual health and physical development, but also for cognitive and social-emotional development.”
Research indicates that a child's brain develops most rapidly during the first 5 years of a child’s life and reaches up to 90%of its adult size during this time. Hence, how a child’s brain is stimulated in these formative years is vital to determining the future mental capability of the child, through adulthood.
Reasons for Early Childhood Education:
- There is strong scientific proof that the brain development is most rapid in the early years of life. Early and quality stimulation aids the process of brain development considerably while lack of it can have adverse effects on ECD.
- Not only does Early Childhood Education lead to stimulation of the senses in a child, it also helps improve the child’s cognitive as well as social development.
- It has been observed that Early Childhood Education greatly boosts a child’s grades at school, as well as success in life in general.
- Early Childhood Education (ECE) greatly assists a child in critical thinking as well as rationalization and interpretation of things and information being supplied to her.
- Investing in Early Childhood Education and Brain Development will reap lucrative benefits in the years to come. Studies show that the returns on ECE investment can be around 4-5 times or higher than the amount invested.
- Several studies show ECE as a great multiplier of IQ in children from an early age itself.
Although, traditionally ECE is formally started in preschools when the child gets to interact with his peers and teachers; with the help of several Early Learning Aids easily available nowadays, parents can start imparting ECE as early as eight months from the comfort of their homes. Not only does this give your child an early start, it goes a long way in strengthening the parent-child bond between you, as well. Due to its outreaching effects on the overall development of children and the socio–economic impacts on economies, ECE is being given extensive relevance not just by parents, but also governments across the globe. Therefore, it is safe to conclude that a holistic approach to ECE at a child’s home will enable the full development of a child and also, prove your most apt investment as a parent.