With so much emphasis on early childhood development, early brain development, and early learning it’s equally important that we talk about the right kind of food and nourishment for young children and their brains. Not only is a healthy diet essential for your child’s body, it is equally vital for her brain, too. It is with a healthy diet that the brain’s various functions such as cognition, memory, concentration, reasoning etc. are further developed.
Nutrition has been called the single greatest environmental influence on babies in the womb and during infancy, and it remains essential throughout the first years of life.
We have collated a list of the top nutritional foods for your child’s healthy brain development. Depending on whether your child is a vegetarian, eggetarian or a non-vegetarian you can pick from the following list of foods best suited for your child’s needs.
1. Eggs: Besides being a great source of proteins, eggs are essentially one of the best sources of choline, a macro nutrient essential in the normal brain development that also helps in concentration.
2. Greens: Green veggies are rich in nutrients such as Vitamin K and folic acid that help greatly in preventing blood clots, dementia and Alzheimer’s and promote new cell growth. Being rich in antioxidants
they also improve brain functions.
3. Fish: 60% of our brain is made up of Omega -# fatty acids and fish being rich in omega- 3 fatty acids is considered extremely healthy for your brain’s healthy development- one of the reasons it is called ‘brain food
4. Peanut Butter: Both peanuts and peanut butter are rich in the antioxidant vitamin E
that protects the brain membrane.
5. Milk: New research
shows that milk and dairy products can be healthy for your brain. The antioxidant glutathione found in milk has a protective effect on the brain and may slow cognitive decline.
6. Berries: Berries
rank very high in antioxidants
that prevent your brain from free radical damage. This becomes all the more essential as the brain uses a large amount of energy. Thus, berries help prevent cognitive decline as well as damage to neural tissue.
7. Beans: Again beans area rich source of nutrients
such as proteins, fiber, folate, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants that are essential in the healthy development of your child’s brain. Beans are also considered one of the wholesome foods out there and kidney beans and pinto beans are especially rich in omega-3 fatty acids considered good for the brain.
In your quest for the wholesome development of your child’s body and mind, ensure you include the right kind of nourishment in your little ones daily food intake. For as we all know, a healthy mind and body will make for a happy and sharp kid.